Design Principles of Expansion Joint Systems in Buildings,
Plaza Decks, Parking Structures and Stadiums
Length of program: 1 hour
Learning units: 1 LU Hour
Outline/Agenda of Interactive Learning Activity
- Traffic & Service Conditions Dictate Design
- Type and Speed of Traffic / Service Conditions
- Waterproofing / Movement Considerations / Aesthetics
- Temperature Adjustment Principals
- Concrete Construction
- Design and Selection Criteria of Expansion Joints for:
- Types of Structures – precast, post tensioned, tilt-up, etc.
- Coefficient of Expansion – static vs. dynamic movement
- Direction & Amount of Movement – thermal, seismic, lateral shear.
- High Volume Areas – entrances, bridges, walkways, parking, etc.
- Heavy Loads / Service Conditions – cars, buses, delivery trucks, fork trucks, snowplows, cleaning equipment, etc.
- Pedestrian Safety – ADA compliance vs. trip hazards
- Life Safety – fire rated designs
- Understanding the relationship between type of structure, concrete construction, watertight designs and seismic requirements.
- Proper system selection based on service, climate, movement and loading conditions.
- Identify the difference between trip hazards and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).